A superb mansion on the Gold Coast of Manhattan’s Upper East Side – from East 60th to East 96th Street, from Fifth to Park Avenues – there are only 11 mansions that are 44 feet or wider, and no other house on the market is available at this extraordinarily rare width.
Two earlier houses were demolished in 1917 to create this beautiful Beaux –Arts residence in the Neo-French classic style which instantly surpassed many of the palaces of Fifth Avenue. The most remarkable aspects of this grand mansion are the dazzling interior light in both the front and rear and the classic limestone façade. Interestingly, the building is nearly column free allowing for great flexibility in future design.
This elegant and refined mansion has 7 floors plus a basement with a 15 ft ceiling. There is 21,070 sq ft (1,950 sqm) of living space plus over 3,350 sq ft (311 sqm) of outdoor space with a second floor terrace and a terrace off the solarium. An additional roof terrace is possible with views of Fifth Avenue and Central Park.
The property is 44 ft x 102 ft on the lower and entry levels and is 70ft in depth from the second to the fifth floors, providing an excellent opportunity for outdoor space around 30 ft deep on the parlour floor. There is also an original penthouse level with indoor and outdoor areas.
An original curved staircase of approximately 22 ft in diameter rises to a glorious stained dome illuminated from above – an architectural detail unmatched by any townhouse to ever come on the market. The property also has 14 marble fireplaces, each one unique. There are two lifts serving all floors and a third commercial grade hydraulic lift between the first floor and basement. In addition, the current owners have created a luxury medical facility in such a way that the great rooms and basic floor plans remain intact.
As this mansion was completed in 1917, the new owner, and only the fourth, will be able to celebrate its centennial in 2017.
THE UPPER EAST SIDE:
Just as many of today's billionaires are congregating around Central Park in an area that has come to be known as "BILLIONAIRES' ROW", the section of Madison and Park Avenues between East 68 and 71 Street was referred to as "Bankers' Colony" at the turn of the last century as so many prominent families in finance choose this particular location. "The most suitable site in all of New York for a dwelling would appear to be the southwest corner of East 69 Street and Park Avenue," as it "was not a matter of cost but rather one of choice that drove this decision" according to a published report in THE NEW YORK HERALD of Sunday, October 14, 1917.
It was noted in the press of the day that at the exact same time Otto Dommerich was planning his magnificent mansion on East 69th Street, three other magnates, Henry P. Davison of J.P. Morgan & Co., William Sloane of W & J Sloane, and Harvey Gibson of Liberty National Bank were also erecting their mansions on the very same block between Madison and Park Avenues, intentionally choosing this location over Fifth Avenue. The fact that the four men who "wanted only the best selected the same corner" gave rise to the belief that "this corner is the best residential site in the city" and "developing what is to be Fifth Avenue's greatest rival." An article in 1916 announces that "There is no section which shows more promise of usurping much of Fifth Avenue's social prominence than Park Avenue."
We specialise in arranging bespoke inspection trips to all our properties, tailor-made to suit your specific travel requirements. Contact us to speak to a dedicated travel manager.
If we don’t have the perfect property for you on the website, don’t worry. We have carefully chosen associates around the World who have access to the very best properties on the market today. Just tell us your requirements and leave it to us to find your ideal home.